Barbara Bush Elementary School
Link to school website Share
511 East Springdale Lane
Grand Prairie, TX 75052
Matthew Ibbotson, a student at Grand Prairie High School, worked diligently with his Scout Troop over the Holiday Break to install this new Earth Science Station. This project helped Matthew accomplish his Eagle Scout status…way to go, Matthew!! Thanks to Brenda Townsend at Marshall Elementary for sharing her design and allowing us to modify it for our needs. Tracy Hollis was instrumental in the planning process…thanks, Tracy! And, of course, Tammy Chan’s crew at the City of Grand Prairie was most appreciated as they assisted in some final ‘cleanup’ and maintenance.
Perfect conditions for a science experiment!
Barbara Bush Learning Garden Design
- 2012 REAL School Gardens Community Outreach Award for Smart Potatoes
- 2011 REAL School Gardens Stacey Hodge Award for Successful Family and Community Involvement
- 2008 1st place Green & Clean Campus Program Award, Keep America Beautiful, Go Green Initiative
- 2008 2nd place Green & Clean Campus Program Award, Keep America Beautiful, Square Foot Gardening Association Elementary Category
- 2008 2nd place National Square Foot Gardening Contest
- 2007 American Forest & Paper Association School Recycling Award
- 2007 International School of the Year, Go Green Initiative
- 2006 Keep Texas Beautiful, 3rd place Ruthe Jackson Youth Leadership Award
- 2006 Keep Texas Beautiful, 1st place Sadie Ray Graff Education Leadership Award
- 2005 Recycling Alliance of Texas Leadership Award, Outstanding Environmental Youth Education and Outreach Program
- 2005 2nd place National Award for Beautification and Community Improvement, Keep America Beautiful
- 2005 Environmental Vision Award, North Texas Corporate Recycling Association
SEEDS OF LEARNING
Special thanks to those who keep our garden growing:
- Stacey Ansley
- Bush Environmental Stewardship Team (BEST)
- Tammy Chan and the City of Grand Prairie
- Ron Davis and the GPISD Grounds Crew
- Bruce Graf, Graf Developments
- Tracy Hollis, GPISD Natural Science Education Program Facilitator
- Lowe's Charitable and Educational Foundation (LCEF) - Toolbox for Education Grant, January 2009
- Connie O'Gorman, Lead Parent Volunteer
WHAT A TEACHER IS SAYING...
"Over the last six years our garden has transpired from a ‘place to visit’ to an instructional classroom. In the beginning only the teachers who had an interest in gardening could be found there; now all classroom teachers are looking for ways to integrate this resource into their instruction." - Stacey Ainsley
Special thanks to Barbara Bush Elementary for hosting REAL School Gardens' REAL People Networking Event on October 29, 2009.